Those transferring files to and from the internet may be familiar with the term FTP. FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. So, FTP is a protocol that is used to transfer data over the internet in which TCP/IP protocol is used to enable file transfer. So, if you want to have access to FTP, you need to have the server address, username, and password as credentials to log in to the server. But like usual, what if you forgot FTP password? Well, first you can try to recall the password, try a few combinations and see if you succeed or not. But if you fail to recall your FTP password you have the option to recover the FTP password or reset the FTP password. There are some methods by which you can recover the password when required. You need to recover the password as quickly as possible because otherwise, it will be impossible for you to transfer files over the internet and your workflow will be compromised significantly.
Recover FTP Password
You can recover the FTP password by using FileZilla which is one of the most commonly used pieces of FTP client software. FileZilla is open-source. All your FTP login details are available with FileZilla. Here you can see your username but unfortunately, you cannot see your FTP password. So, you need to go to recover the FTP password process. You can follow the below steps to recover the password.
- Start FileZilla and then go to the File menu and click the “Export” option from the drop-down list.
- Now you can see here “Export site manager entries”. You need to check this option box and then click on “OK”.
- Now, you can save your file in a folder in your system. Save the file with the “Filezilla.xml” name extension.
- Now you can close FileZilla and open the saved file from the folder in your system.
- The file opens by default in the Internet Explorer browser if there is no XML reader on your system. When the file opens you can see all the usernames and passwords.
So, this is how you can recover the FTP password using FileZilla.
Reset FTP Password
You can also reset the FTP password using SniffPass. SniffPass is similar to File Zilla. But if you are unable to recover the FTP password using either FileZilla or SniffPass, you can get help from the expert. After your password is reset you can start transferring your files to and from the internet again.